IT4GH : Goal
The following is an attempt to establish a theoretical framework for programming an interactive digital assistant or agent (IDA). An assistant simply provides suggestions, feedback, and comments to the human who then performs the act, whereas an agent is empowered to act with the authority of the human.
- The task is to build a summary snapshot of the world from the point of view of a machine with enough detail and structure to be able to support a human in decision making, that is, provide counsel
- Try to tease out original meanings of terms through etymology
- Lighthill’s B in A,B,C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighthill_report)
- To convert information to understanding
- Memory recovery as a chain of steps; coherence
- Decisions based on music; processing in parallel; music before language; singing in young children; Daisy Daisy
- Local/Internal sufficiency: Internet resources is a possible accessory but not a requirement. An audio model and language should be entirely internal to the application; the process cannot depend on external processing. Note unsafe data access by major players, Google, Facebook and so on
- Interested in serving one person only; audio model should be specific to the user, not designed to serve a wide variety of voices; in this context is should have more freedom to focus on tone and mood
- UX - user experience. When voice interaction does not work well it can strain the voice in the same way as repetitive mouse clicking can strain the human arm. How do we handle this? Example: when the recognizer refuses to distinguish between alternatives and persistently uses the wrong one.
- Establish a kernel first: then the system should learn from experience. What should be in the kernel?
- Provides a counter-balance against biases; mostly these are automatically implemented unless bias is specifically programmed in. We tend to regard bias as a negative thing, but remain open to the idea that bias might in fact be helpful in making practical decisions
- Randomness in responses from the IDA can be very surprising and cause the human to focus on particular aspects of the issue at hand
© Colin Beckingham 2018,2019 Last modified: 2019-January-17